Targa Tas 2012

Simon

1000+ Posts
Probably worth keeping an eye peeled for the few Frenchies in this years Targa Tasvegas, if you are there.

104/ Regularity/ Les Smith/ Russell Boyd/ 2010 Renault Clio Cup

412/ Early Classic/ Ernst Luthi/ Sonja Luthi/ 1971 Alpine Renault A110

714/ Early Modern/ Waylon Sims/ Jobe Sims/ 1995 Peugeot 306

981/ Showroom/ Gavin James/ Tim Kulhanek/ 2011 Renault Megane RS 250

Pics ripped from the Targa Tas website.

Attachments

• TT2012A110.jpg
    TT2012A110.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 416
  • TT2012R3_resize.jpg
    TT2012R3_resize.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 418
  • TT2012306.jpg
    TT2012306.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Alpine A110 in Targa

Hi All

Heres a few pics of the Alpine A110 in action in the prologue today.

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 315
Gotta love that ! Sensational :)

Pity Kermit can't be in it again :( Wonder if it's found a proud new owner yet ?

Hi All

Heres a few pics of the Alpine A110 in action in the prologue today.

Yes, I had a squiz at Ernst's Berlinette at the Silverdome tonight- cute! His prologue time will not be pleasing him though!

There's another ex-frogger, Chris Ralph, in Targa with an orange Ford Perana (South African V8 Capri). Same class as Luthi & the Alpine. Personally, my favourite is the Steyr-Puch.

cheers! Peter.

After Day 1, the A110 is at the head of its class. In the showroom category there is 0.48 seconds per competitive km difference between the first placed Mazda 3 MPS, and the Megane 250. Adam Spence in third place will have to summon the assistance of the spirit of Gordini, to help elevate him from his current third placing.

Showroom category after Day 1.
1. Simon Evans/Sue Evans, Mazda 3 MPS, 4min 10secs
2. Gavin James/Tim Kulhanek, Renault Megane RS 250, +35 secs
3. Adam Spence/Tracy Button, BMW 130i, +1min 35secs

Day 2 should be interesting, all the previous year stages, excepting the Longford street stage, will be run in the reverse direction so previous experience is going to be less of a factor. Rossarden will likely be fun! And then there is the forecast of some rain as well.

Targa Tasmania

Kermit is still in Tassie - interest does not appreciate his providence.

Have a brake problem currently but having solved that he should be all go for the next Targa.

Thanks for your interrest.

It wasn't a good Day 2 for a couple of the Frenchies today. The 306, which disappeared after the first two stages yesterday didn't reappear today. And the regularity Clio had an off on the second stage of the day, Elephant Saddle. According to the reports the crew are OK, but no word on how the car has fared.

At the end of Day 2, the A110 is still at the head of its class.

The Megane 250 is still in second place in the showroom class, putting in a good challenge to the Mazda 3 in a majority of the stages today, but the Mazda pulled ahead on the Sideling to finish the day with a 1 min 20 sec lead over the Renault.

It would be nice to rip a few pics from the Targa Tas website to illustrate the Renault contingent. But it would appear that the Mazda crews must have paid for the premium photography package. As if it isn't a Mazda in the showroom category, it doesn't seem to have had a picture taken yet. Then again, Mazda must have made a reasonable investment for the event, with the Zero Car, being the least Targa like car ever (apart from a Mercedes Diesel van), even having its own promo segment.

Showroom Category after Day 2.
1. Simon Evans / Sue Evans, Mazda 3 MPS, 12m 56s
2. Gavin James / Tim Kulhanek, Renault Megane RS 250, +1m 20s
=3. Adam Spence / Tracey Button, BMW 130i, +5m 43s
=3. Adam Dodd / Lee Challoner-Miles, Mazda MX5 +5m 43s.

A110 Spare Parts

Not offering spare parts were you, Col?

Wouldn't be the first time I have supplied spare parts

Was chatting to Ernst tonight about the A110, he had a small leak in the fuel tank so he did not make Targa Fest tonight. But the good news is the leak is now fixed and the A110 will be lining up on the start line tomorrow

Targa

The frogess and I shall be floating down to Strahan from Devonport in the C5 on Saturday arvo via the Riana stage. Shall post photos of the French Frollicker(s) upon return. It may be singular if the Clio is a definite "out" after the Elephant Pass mishap due to driver incompetence (according to the driver).

I must say a flotilla of Frenchies makes a welcome break form platoon of Porsches which litter the stages.

Targa

From the official Targa website:

2012 TT - Day 2 category report

Thursday, 19 April 2012
EVANS MOVES CLEAR

Simon Evans has increased his lead in the Country Club Tasmania Showroom competition on day two of Targa Tasmania.

Driving the factory Mazda3 MPS, Evans and his co-driving wife, Sue, now lead by a minute and 20 seconds from the Renault Megane RS 250 of Gavin James and Tim Kulhanek.

It is James’ first event in the car, and his showing so far has impressed many. He still has Evans in his sights, and any false move from the multiple Australian Rally Champion will give the Renault driver a real chance

Bad luck to Les Smith co driver and little clio, while being interviewed Les says " Well it was a very exiting morning, little bit of drizzle and we managed to overcook it into a corner on some leaves and here we are, so we havn't had a full post mortum yet but its fairly safe to say we will put it down to lack of driver talent. " Les says jokingly. Better luck next time.

Bad luck to Les Smith co driver and little clio, while being interviewed Les says " Well it was a very exiting morning, little bit of drizzle and we managed to overcook it into a corner on some leaves and here we are, so we havn't had a full post mortum yet but its fairly safe to say we will put it down to lack of driver talent. " Les says jokingly. Better luck next time.

Take the foot off the brake and get the steering back.:confused:

No ABS

I take it there is no ABS on the race pack, bugger.

Might have just got the notes mixed up as he doesn't really set the car up for a left hander on the way in.

Bad luck to Les Smith co driver and little clio, while being interviewed Les says " Well ... its fairly safe to say we will put it down to lack of driver talent. " ....

Can't argue with the man, he locked the breaks twice in less than a minute of video... It does seem like a bit of cockpit confusion following by an instinctive over-breaking (been there, done that myself). A locked wheel does not turn... Full respect for owning up to a possibly momentary lack of talent...

By the look of the railing it's had a good number of visitors, but such a shame to see a beautiful car crash and the end of the rally for the crew.

Can't argue with the man, he locked the breaks twice in less than a minute of video... It does seem like a bit of cockpit confusion following by an instinctive over-breaking (been there, done that myself). A locked wheel does not turn... Full respect for owning up to a possibly momentary lack of talent...

By the look of the railing it's had a good number of visitors, but such a shame to see a beautiful car crash and the end of the rally for the crew.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was an element of distraction from the TV camera set-up too. A moment of confusion, are the TV spotlights actually a car that had gone backwards into the scenery? Then the next corner comes up as the distraction is recognised.

The end of Day 3 sees the midpoint of the rally in terms of competitive k's, with another 294 competitive kilometres to complete over the next two days.

Day 3 was another sad day for a couple of the Frenchies (among others) the Peugeot 306 made an appearance at the start of the day after missing Day 2, but didn't make the first stage exiting with unknown mechanical issues.

The Luthi/Luthi A110 succumbed to "mechanical issues" in the stage just before the lunch break. Hopefully it is a simple fix, and it they are back in action for Day 4.

The showroom class saw the Mazda 3 further extend its lead again over the Megane. But with two days, and plenty of k's to go, anything could still happen.

Showroom Category after Day 3.
1. Simon Evans / Sue Evans, Mazda 3 MPS, 23m 37s
2. Gavin James / Tim Kulhanek, Renault Megane RS 250, +3m 15s
3. Adam Spence / Tracey Button, BMW 130i, +8m 22s
4. Adam Dodd / Lee Challoner-Miles, Mazda MX5 +0m 45s.