Citroen C5 2.0HDI strange sync issue

bmw535guy

Fellow Frogger
Hey Everybody,
Im at the state of pulling my hair out and wanted to see if anybody could point me in the right direction.
Car driving / running fine, preventative maintenence of doing timing belt. All went well.

Car started up fine, no issues and ran nice.

Took it for a test drive and upon reaching 2500rpm she started stuttering, so i gently drove it home and hooked it up to diagbox and saw this:
P0341 and P0336, so camshaft and cranshaft signal at 2500rpm, said "signal missing" and permanent fault.

Have taken the cam sensor to a friend and tested on his car and its fine, have rechecked timing belt timing and all is well. Checked magnetic crank pickup and looks all good, no damage.

Had an idea of clearing the codes and reading live data on diagbox, this is where things got interesting. All saying "synced" all the way up to 2500rpm and then saying "not synced", i back off the throttle and it says "synced". Cleared the codes, reved it up to 2000rpm, shut down engine and no new codes so can confirm its not throwing codes before 2500rpm.

Has anybody got any ideas? Anybody seen similar stuff?

Thank you in advance,
Chris

Which engine do you have? There are more than one 2.0 HDIs. (You have a recent X7?)

It is odd. For P0341 there is no signal at all, so the sensor could be dud, or the wiring open. P0366 is interesting, in that the PSA manual says that there could be damaged teeth, or that the engine speed is too high for the sensor. That might explain the "not synced".

I think you had an RHH. The crank sensor fault is the obvious thing to look at first, since you did the timing belt. There is a useful video at

Is this a case of using cylinder 4 for TDC not cylinder 1 which is at the transmission side of engine so 180 deg out?

Check/clean the sensor connectors in case loose pins now and vibration at 2500 is just enough to break the signal to ECU

Which engine do you have? There are more than one 2.0 HDIs. (You have a recent X7?)

It is odd. For P0341 there is no signal at all, so the sensor could be dud, or the wiring open. P0366 is interesting, in that the PSA manual says that there could be damaged teeth, or that the engine speed is too high for the sensor. That might explain the "not synced".
Its an early X7 with the whole 100kw ;)

Is this a case of using cylinder 4 for TDC not cylinder 1 which is at the transmission side of engine so 180 deg out?

Check/clean the sensor connectors in case loose pins now and vibration at 2500 is just enough to break the signal to ECU
I didnt crank the engine, i locked the cam and the crank with 8mm bolts and marked the timing belt for safety then reinstalled. Also I made sure the crank pulley was in the middle of the key when i assembled it and the tensioner arrow was right in the middle. So yeh ive actually taken it all apart to double check last night. Thus the insanity kicking in ;)

What are letters 6-7-8 of the VIN? RHR or RHH? This is the engine code. This thing could be about the crank sensor teeth

Update: Decided to do some checks and removed the crank sensor and give it a good clean with contact cleaner and inspect it, upon taking it out i noticed it could be "adjusted" up and down maybe by 1-2mm. After cleaning it and refitting it the sensor fit snug and would not move. So it seemed like i may have not put the sensor into its perfect desired location the first time after doing the timing belt. Anyways car now runs perfectly. Sorry for bothering everyone and thank you for your attempts at assistance, i appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback. So the sensor and teeth were accidentally misaligned. Have all codes now cleared?

Thanks for the feedback. So the sensor and teeth were accidentally misaligned. Have all codes now cleared?
There are no teeth just a smooth magnetic wheel between the cambelt pulley and the aux pulley on the crank, the sensor was not quite put in into the requires slot which ( i now know) should leave it unable to wiggle before i put the nut in. Live and learn, bright side of it all is that this issue made me catch that i did not allign the bottom pulley 100% in the midle of the cambelt pulley which i fixed as a result of double check.

Thanks for the feedback. So the sensor and teeth were accidentally misaligned. Have all codes now cleare
Ran diagbox, short of the common "glow plug" issue (which i have no intention of "fixing" as i dont live in cold weather climates and car starts and runs perfect, car is error free :)

Excellent result.
I was thinking of this - "teeth" is probably being generous for this ring. The French refer to "dents". (RHH wheel)
crank wheel.png

Excellent result.
I was thinking of this - "teeth" is probably being generous for this ring. The French refer to "dents". (RHH wheel)
View attachment 240995
pretty much it, i was very worried as i degreased and cleaned the ring and later read thats a bad idea hahahah.....ah well alls well what ends well. Just flashed the tune back onto the ECU and its all happy :) with extra arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ;) hahaha (i put stock tune on earlier as though maybe tune i put on caused the issue but i didnt test the car after the timing belt and before tune which is a no no)

No. The larger diameter accessory belt pulley goes over it, then the bolt.